|Oregon Coast Notes|
|Oregon Coast Bridges Designed by Oregon's Master Bridge Builder - Conde B. McCullough|
|Oregon Coast Notes - News|
Conde B. McCullough [1887-1946] arrived in Oregon in 1916 to teach engineering at Oregon Agricultural College (now Oregon State University).
He was among a new breed of college-educated engineers, and a pioneer of the movement to create a well-planned American highway system. Beginning in the early 1900s, McCullough argued that bridges should be built efficiently, economically and aesthetically. He became Oregon's state bridge engineer in 1919 and initiated creation of hundreds of custom designed spans characterized by architectural elegance.
His legacy of beautiful bridges lives today and most of his bridges are considered significant landmarks.
Old Youngs Bay Bridge - 1921
Warrenton Highway -Astoria, MP 6.89
This bridge is an example of a double leaf bascule drawspan. The large Art Deco Style wood and concrete pylons on both ends of the bridge are McCullough hallmarks. The buildings located at the bascules are the bridge operator's houses.
Lewis and Clark River Bridge – 1924
Warrenton Highway -Astoria, MP 4.78
The only remaining single leaf bascule drawspan in Oregon. Four double leaf bascule bridges remain on Oregon's highway system.
Wilson River Bridge - 1931
Highway 101 -Tillamook, MP 64.73
This was the first reinforced concrete tied arch span constructed in America. This bridge style is also referred to as a bowstring arch bridge.
Depoe Bay Bridge - 1927 and 1940
Highway 101 -Depoe Bay, MP 127.61
A reinforced concrete deck arch located at the mouth of Depoe Bay, the world's smallest bay. A stairway on the bayside and a walkway at the north end provide an opportunity to look under the bridge. --photo by Travels With Huggy
Rocky Creek Bridge - 1927
The bridge spans a small gorge on Otter Crest, a bypassed section of the original US 101 alignment. It is also known as the Ben Jones Bridge, for the "Father of the Coast Highway." Jones introduced legislation for construction of the Roosevelt Military Highway (the original name for the Oregon Coast Highway) in 1919 and convinced the federal government to finance half its cost. --photo by Celine
Yaquina Bay Bridge – 1936
This bridge, located in Newport, has a combination of both steel and concrete arches. The main span of the 3,223-foot structure is a 600-foot steel through arch flanked by two 350-foot steel deck arches. There are five reinforced concrete deck arch secondary spans on the south end. Each end has a pedestrian plaza with elaborate stairways leading to observation areas. --photo by Celine
Cummins Creek Bridge - 1931
Highway 101 –Yachats, MP 168.44
This reinforced concrete deck arch bridge is located at Neptune Scenic Viewpoint. The arch is an open spandrel type with a low rise. The railing is supported by curved brackets and consists of small semicircular arched openings.
Tenmile Creek Bridge – 1931
Highway 101 -Yachats, MP 171.44
A reinforced concrete through tied arch bridge located approximately six miles south of Yachats. The bowstring main arch spans 120 feet and the total length is 180 feet. Identical to the Wilson River Bridge (near Tillamook) and Big Creek Bridge Just to the south.
Big Creek Bridge – 1931
Highway 101 -Yachats, MP 175.02
A reinforced concrete through tied arch bridge identical to the Wilson River Bridge and the Tenmile Creek Bridge.
Cape Creek Bridge – 1932
Highway 101 –Haceta Head, MP 178.35
Located at Heceta Head Lighthouse Scenic Viewpoint. The numerous columns and arches of the viaduct section are reminiscent of the Roman aqueducts. The main span of the 619-foot structure is a 220 foot open spandrel rib-type reinforced concrete deck arch.
Siuslaw River Bridge – 1936
Highway 101 -Florence, MP 190.98
Located at Florence, this steel double leaf bascule drawspan is connected between two concrete bowstring arch spans. The four bridge operator's houses are designed in the Art Deco Style. Photo by Stephanie Sarles
Umpqua River Bridge - 1936
Highway 101 -Reedsport, MP 211.11
Located in Reedsport, this steel Parker through truss is the only state highway swing span structure still in operation in Oregon. It is notable as a representative of this outdated moveable bridge technology.
Coos Bay Bridge – 1936
Highway 101 –Coos Bay, MP 234.03
Dedicated posthumously in 1947 to its designer, Conde B. McCullough, this 5,305 foot steel cantilever truss bridge was the longest structure on Oregon's highway system when constructed. To ease design conflict between the steel truss and the arch spans, the cantilever was constructed with curved upper and lower chords.
Rogue River Bridge – 1932
Highway 101 –Gold Beach, MP 327.64
Located near Gold Beach, the bridge consists of seven reinforced concrete deck arches. It was the first structure in the US constructed with the Freyssinet method of arch ring decentering and stress control, named after its French inventor. The American Society of Civil Engineers designated the bridge a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark in 1982. The success of the bridge led to the widespread use of prestressing techniques in concrete construction. The structure is dedicated to Isaac Lee Patterson, the Oregon governor who promoted its construction.